[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 1 July, 2004, 11:41 GMT 12:41 UK
Botched ops doctor wins appeal
Surgeon performing cosmetic surgery
One of the operations left the patient's penis smaller than before
A Harley Street doctor who botched penis enlargement operations has won an appeal against being struck off.

Dr Ravi Kant Agarwal, 54, of Stockport, Greater Manchester, will instead be suspended for three months, the General Medical Council (GMC) said.

He was found guilty of serious professional misconduct by the GMC last year and ordered to be struck off.

Dr Agarwal appealed against the ruling in December, and some of the findings were dismissed.

But, sitting in Manchester, the GMC upheld the essential findings that Dr Agarwal had deliberately misled one patient as to the likely outcome of the procedure.

He also failed to arrange for adequate anaesthetic back-up during the operation.

Deformed, small

The patient, known as Mr A, told the hearing he passed out when he saw the results of the operation.

His penis was left black, deformed and smaller than it was before the operation, which was carried out on the 47-year-old in 1997.

A second patient, male stripper Garrie Dunk, 43, of Sheffield, told the hearing he wanted the operation to aid his career.

But he said he was left unable to go to the toilet for two days after the operation and suffered "tremendous swelling" for six or seven weeks.

Mr Dunk also claimed his marriage failed because of the operation.

Misleading ads

The GMC ruled the cosmetic surgeon had failed to counsel the patient against the need for the operation.

The hearing was told both men may have suffered from a condition which made them believe they had small genitals.

The condition gives men the impression that their penis is smaller than it really is, but both men had average-sized organs.

Dr Agarwal admitted he had allowed his services to be advertised in a misleading way.

Advertisements for his surgery claimed he had "unrivalled experience" in carrying out the "unique and exclusive operation.

On Wednesday, the GMC set aside the original order to strike the doctor off and instead suspended him for three months.

It said the doctor no longer performed penoplasty - penis enlargement - operations and had no intention of performing them again.




SEE ALSO:
Penis operation left man in pain
28 Jan 03  |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific