Page last updated at 18:58 GMT, Wednesday, 10 March 2010

All 7 July attack survivors get legal aid for inquests

Aftermath of 7 July bomb attacks
Fifty-two people were killed and more than 700 were injured in the attacks

All survivors of the 7 July bombings in London have been granted legal aid for the inquests, the government has said.

The Ministry of Justice said the aid would allow survivors to get initial representation to apply to the coroner to be named as an "interested person".

Earlier this month the ministry granted legal aid to the families of 52 people who were killed in the 2005 attacks.

Aid would also be granted to survivors named as "interested persons" by the deputy coroner Lady Justice Hallett.

The inquests are expected to begin in October.

A statement from the Ministry of Justice said: "The Justice Secretary, Jack Straw, has made an in-principle decision to provide funding for a legal team to represent the survivors.

"Funding will be provided to allow survivors to make representations to Lady Justice Hallett, the assistant deputy coroner, that they should be 'properly interested persons' at the inquests and therefore able to question witnesses and to receive copies of documents.

"Funding for representation will also be provided for those survivors whom the coroner recognises as 'interested persons'."

Next month, Lady Justice Hallett will decide the format of the inquests, including whether the inquests of the four suicide bombers should be heard jointly or separately.

The suicide-bomber attacks on three London Underground trains and a double-decker bus killed 52 people and injured more than 700 people.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
All 7/7 families to get legal aid
02 Mar 10 |  London
7/7 survivors in legal aid battle
01 Mar 10 |  London
Anger over 7/7 inquest 'insult'
25 Feb 10 |  London
Family gets 7/7 inquest legal aid
24 Feb 10 |  London

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific