Page last updated at 19:46 GMT, Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Baby critically injured by falling lamppost in Chiswick

Air Ambulance responding to incident
The baby was taken to hospital by Air Ambulance

A one-year-old child suffered critical injuries when a lamppost fell on him in a west London street.

Police said they found the baby boy and a woman, 62, outside Chiswick Town Hall at 1030 GMT.

The incident occurred near the junction of Sutton Court Road and Heathfield Terrace.

The baby, who suffered life-threatening injuries, was taken to a central London hospital by air ambulance. The woman remains in a local hospital.

The baby is in a critical but stable condition, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

The woman is also stable and her injuries are not said to be life-threatening.

'Baby was breathing'

An eyewitness, who asked not to be named, described the aftermath to BBC London: "The baby was really pale and his eyes were closed.

"I couldn't see him breathing and the father [possibly carer] was in shock.

"After that the baby was breathing, but he never opened his eyes."

Police at scene of accident
Police sealed off the road after the incident

A London Ambulance spokesman said: "We were called to reports of an incident at approximately 10.30am.

"Two patients were treated at the scene. One baby, approximately one year old, was taken to Royal London Hospital by Air Ambulance.

"A second patient, a 62-year-old woman, was taken to Charing Cross Hospital with a back injury."

Scotland Yard said the injured woman was not related to the baby. A carer, who was looking after the infant at the time, was not hurt.

Hounslow Council is in charge of maintaining lampposts in the area.

A council spokeswoman said: "This is an awful tragedy and our heartfelt sympathies go out to the injured and all their families.

"The council is co-operating fully with the police and Health and Safety Executive investigations."

Work is being carried out in the area to improve some roads and crossing facilities for pedestrians.

The council said cabling work was going on outside the Town Hall, but no workmen were on site when the accident happened.

The site has been worked on for about two weeks, nearby residents said.

Print Sponsor

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific