Page last updated at 12:24 GMT, Friday, 25 December 2009

Christmas fire risk alert issued

A warning has been issued to people about the fire risk of candles and overloaded plug sockets at Christmas.

London Fire Brigade said electrical problems and candles lead to more house fires in in the city in December than in any other month.

Andy Hickmott, brigade assistant commissioner, said: "We want everyone to have a happy Christmas, but would like to remind people to be careful."

The campaign coincides with the launch of new fire safety posters.

Mr Hickmott said: "It's tempting to plug several sets of fairy lights and other electrical equipment into one socket, but I'd really advise against that.

"Sockets can quickly overheat and this can lead to serious fires.

"[And] quite simply, candles left unattended can be a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you leave them near to flammable items, like curtains or even Christmas trees."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Fire crews warn of risks in carol
17 Dec 08 |  Wales
Artificial Christmas tree warning
19 Nov 08 |  Humber
Warning on Christmas fire hazards
26 Nov 06 |  Somerset

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific