Page last updated at 11:34 GMT, Friday, 20 November 2009

Tube check cuts 'risking safety'

Tube train
Bosses say the move will have "no impact" on safety

Plans to cut track inspections on a stretch of the Tube will risk public safety, a rail union has said.

Track checks on the Jubilee Line extension are to be reduced from twice a week to once, officials confirmed.

Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail and Maritime Transport Union, blamed a "black hole" in Transport for London's finances for the cuts.

But TfL said safety was its top priority, adding that "essential savings" would not affect this.

Mr Crow said: "We have warned all along that the multi-billion pound black hole facing TfL would result in real service cuts and would impact on safety and reliability.

"We now have concrete evidence that our fears were well founded. The shift of policy from twice weekly to weekly track safety inspections is one that RMT will fight."

'Reliable and safe'

A TfL spokesman said safety was improving on the underground and added that assurances had been received that the track inspection changes maintain standards.

He added: "There will be no impact on the safety of transport services as a result of the essential savings and efficiencies we are making across TfL."

In a statement, contractors Tube Lines said the change would enable it to redeploy staff to carry out other track improvement work.

The statement read: "The track formation is modern in its design so is not prone to the common defects you might find on other, older lines with different track configurations.

"It performs reliably and safely - there have been no broken rails on the Jubilee line extension since its opening in 1999 - and our assessment has determined that a change in the frequency of track inspections will not result in any significant increase in risk to either its safety or performance."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Tube strike looms as staff vote
19 Nov 09 |  London
More Tube workers vote on strike
22 Oct 09 |  London
New Underground strike threatened
12 Oct 09 |  London
Underground strike is called off
29 Sep 09 |  London
Talks aim to avert Tube strikes
19 Jun 09 |  London

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific