Page last updated at 21:06 GMT, Monday, 6 April 2009 22:06 UK

Phone line cut affects thousands

Tens of thousands of people in east London remain without internet access after underground cables were damaged.

British Telecom (BT) said 50,000 addresses lost phone service after the damage in a tunnel on Saturday.

The company said the vast majority of customers, including commercial ones, have now been reconnected.

A BT spokesman said most of the residential telephone lines were now working and added that the firm would work overnight to solve other issues.

The spokesman added: "It is a very complex and difficult problem to fix easily. There are still a number of lines out of action."

He said that on Monday night it was not possible to say how long it would take to restore a full service.

The problem also caused road congestion as traffic lights had been cut off from the computer system.

Although the signals are on, Transport for London (TfL) said it had been unable to alter the phasing of them to adapt to traffic conditions.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific