Page last updated at 13:25 GMT, Friday, 3 April 2009 14:25 UK

Girl admits G20 protest vandalism

G20 protesters at Royal Bank of Scotland
Protesters stormed their way into the Royal Bank of Scotland's City branch

A teenage girl has admitted smashing a computer monitor in an attack on the Royal Bank of Scotland's City branch during the G20 protests in London.

The 17-year-old from Scotland pleaded guilty to burglary and criminal damage at the West London Youth Court.

Lithuanian Mindaugas Lenartavicius, 21, was remanded in custody after he was charged with arson recklessly endangering life in the attack.

Protesters stormed the building on Threadneedle Street on Wednesday.

Prosecutor Tiffany-Corinne Moise told the West London Youth Court that the girl, who has not been named, also smashed a window with a keyboard.

The teenager had travelled to London for the protest and had drunk up to four cans of strong lager, the court heard.

She got on a desk and was going to use a keyboard to smash her way out of the building
Tiffany-Corinne Moise, for the prosecution

Describing the teenager's arrest, Mrs Moise said: "Inside one of these rooms, he (a police officer) saw a small person holding a computer keyboard, smashing it against a computer monitor and window."

The girl's friends had urged her to enter the bank, the court heard.

"She got on a desk and was going to use a keyboard to smash her way out of the building, but then realised the window was already broken," Mrs Moise said.

The girl's solicitor Miranda Ching said her "remorseful" client had been involved in political activism since leaving school at 13.

"She had no specific intention of entering the building, no specific intention of causing damage. However, she was vastly influenced by her friends.

"It's not in her nature to be someone to wreak havoc or cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble."

'Started fire'

The girl was released on conditional bail and will be sentenced on 24 April.

The second protester, Mr Lenartavicius, was accused of trying to set fire to window blinds in the office using a cigarette lighter and also helping other protesters enter the building through broken windows.

He put the lives of the bank's staff and activists at risk, the court was told.

Mr Lenartavicius, from Palmers Green, north London, was remanded until 4 June when he will appear at Southwark Crown Court.

Daniel Champion and Ben Shiells, both 18, were charged with burglary, criminal damage and theft of a computer.

They were released on bail to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on 14 April.

More than 120 people were arrested during the two-day protests.

Print Sponsor

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific