Page last updated at 19:55 GMT, Thursday, 20 November 2008

Websites probed over Baby P posts

Baby P
Baby P's "litany of injuries" horrified the public

Police are investigating an internet hate campaign which has breached an order preventing the identification of those convicted in the Baby P case.

Posts on social networking sites listed the names of the 17-month-old boy's mother, her boyfriend and her lodger.

The campaign included photos, addresses and threats to harm the trio who were found to be responsible for his death.

Police in London said they were in touch with internet providers to ensure they knew of the contempt issues.

Jason Owen, 36, from Bromley, a 32-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman were convicted of the specific charge of causing or allowing Baby P's death.

A court order, which remains in place, prevented the publication of the identities of the baby's mother and her boyfriend, as well as the child, who lived in the north London borough of Haringey.

"We are aware of this and we are monitoring and liaising with internet providers and making sure they are aware of contempt issues and reporting restrictions in this case," a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.

These conversations mirror those that are currently taking place everywhere, from the House of Commons to the man on the street
Website spokeswoman

A spokeswoman for one of the websites involved told the BBC that the content reflected public reactions to the case and the site would not be shut down.

"In the tragic case of Baby P, these conversations mirror those that are currently taking place everywhere, from the House of Commons to the man on the street.

"Even though this is a highly controversial issue, this alone is not a reason to disable groups."

Some of the sites also name Haringey social workers, leading to what one council worker described as "a climate of fear".

Baby P died in August 2007 after suffering months of horrific abuse.

At the time of his death, the baby was on Haringey council's at-risk child protection register.

He was seen by social workers, police and medical professionals 60 times in the months before his death.

The handling of the case by social workers in Haringey has led to national inspectors being sent in to the borough to conduct an emergency review of child services.

Children's Minister Ed Balls has also ordered an England-wide review of the child protection system.

The website spokeswoman said the sites were being monitored and some content had been removed, but that the information reappeared almost immediately - posted by another user.

Advertisement

Thousands of people have viewed the posts



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific