Page last updated at 21:17 GMT, Tuesday, 6 May 2008 22:17 UK

Gunman shot dead in armed siege

Armed officers at the scene
Armed officers were involved in a gunfight at the scene

A gunman involved in a shoot-out with police in south-west London has been shot dead.

The man fired three times at police officers at a property in Chelsea, who returned fire during the incident, which began at about 1700 BST.

At about 2145 BST four explosions, thought to be stun grenades, were heard.

Shortly after that paramedics were seen taking a stretcher into the house in Markham Square.

Scotland Yard said it was now a matter for the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The IPCC confirmed it would be investigating.

The gunman first shot at police in Chelsea as officers investigated an incident where shots were fired into a child's bedroom.

I started hearing gunshots and I realised it wasn't safe
Local resident

The gunman opened fire at 1700 BST, again at 2100 BST and then at about 2130 BST. On all occasions officers returned fire.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the sky light up with green flashes at the same time as the explosions and others heard glass breaking which suggests they might have been caused by a stun grenade.

The incident is near King's Road which has been closed and large areas are cordoned off.

Police responded after people reported gun shots being fired near the King's Road on Tuesday afternoon.


Police have closed off the King's Road

A woman told the BBC she called the police after the gunman fired three shots into her child's bedroom with a shotgun for "no reason".

The woman added: "I've no idea who he is or why (he was shooting). I'm just grateful my kids weren't in the house.

"The police came, I took them up to the bedroom to show them the damage that was done and you could see the guy directly across the way, aiming.

"And we said 'be careful, he's shooting' and sure enough he took a shot at police and they started shooting back," she added.

Very serious situation

A resident living in the square, who did not want to be named, said: "I looked out of the window and saw police running around with seriously big guns and I realised something serious was going on.

"I started hearing gunshots and I realised it wasn't safe."

Tyrone Bennet, 19, who works in a local clothing store said he heard about five gunshots, adding: "They weren't repeated - it must have been two, then two more, then one, with a few minutes between each burst."

Commander Ali Dizaei said earlier the gunman had made no demands, adding that it was "clearly a very serious situation".

Timeline: Chelsea shooting
08 May 08 |  London

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific