BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 11 January 2008, 13:20 GMT
Plan to revive open-air concerts
Kenwood
The concerts at Kenwood were cancelled last year
Open-air concerts could once again be staged at a stately home in north-west London under plans by English Heritage.

The popular events at Kenwood House in Hampstead were cancelled last year when residents complained about the noise.

English Heritage, which organises the concerts, has submitted plans to Camden Council to hold eight concerts in a new location within the grounds.

Proposals also include reducing the number of fireworks displays and a respite weekend during the programme.

Construction costs

About 60,000 people attend the annual summer concerts in the Kenwood Estate which feature classical and pop music.

Camden Council cut the number of concerts allowed at Kenwood in 2006 from 10 to eight each year following complaints from residents.

The concerts had been running for 55 years and English Heritage said they were a "vital part" of its fund-raising activities.

A spokeswoman said at the time, running eight concerts instead of 10 ruled out any profit margins.

But a change of location will reduce the cost of constructing the stage, therefore enabling the programme to go ahead with eight concerts, a spokeswoman said.

More than 500 people signed an online petition within 24 hours of it going live in a bid to save the outdoor concerts.

SEE ALSO
End to concerts sparks backlash
23 Feb 07 |  London
Fury over extended open-air gig
10 Jul 04 |  London

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific