[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 3 September 2007, 15:58 GMT 16:58 UK
Tube strike travel chaos expected
Metronet staff at work on London Underground
The strike involves maintenance workers
Tube passengers face travel chaos despite two out of three maintenance unions calling off planned strikes.

The RMT union said 2,300 members would walk out for 72 hours from 1800 BST. Services will be reduced from 1630 BST in advance of the strike.

Unite and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) called off their planned strikes after talks.

The RMT action follows fears over jobs and pensions after the collapse of maintenance firm Metronet.

Passengers are being urged to complete their journeys by 1700 BST on Monday as London Underground (LU) needs to get trains back to depots before the strike begins, for safety reasons.

East London
Hammersmith & City
Waterloo & City

LU added the services may not return to normal until Friday morning.

Another 72-hour stoppage is planned for next Monday.

Of the upcoming stoppage, the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines, which are maintained by rival maintenance company Tube Lines, would be running, LU said.

The RMT said the Tube network would "grind to a halt" as a result of the industrial action.

A spokesman said any problems with the maintenance of trains, tracks or signalling would not be resolved.

"If anything goes wrong, it will stay wrong," he said.

On Monday, Unite and the TSSA said they would not go on strike after being given assurances.

It would be incomprehensible to disrupt the lives of millions of Londoners
London mayor Ken Livingstone

But the TSSA said its 360 members would take part in the second planned 72-hour strike, if a matter concerning pensions was not resolved.

The unions have been seeking guarantees there will be no job losses, forced transfers or cuts in pensions as a result of Metronet's collapse in July, when it went into administration.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said the union had not received the "copper-bottomed guarantees" it had been seeking.

The only assurances received so far were related to jobs and transfers and covered only the period of administration, he said.

Transport for London (TfL) said it had released copies of letters sent to the unions making it clear there would be no job losses, forced transfers or changes to pensions while Metronet was in administration.

Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said: "It would be incomprehensible to disrupt the lives of millions of Londoners and lose their members significant amounts of pay when all of the assurances they have asked for have been given."

Underground strikes to go ahead
31 Aug 07 |  London
Series of strikes will hit Tube
23 Aug 07 |  London


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific