Allotment holders being forced to make way for the Olympic Park in east London have reached an agreement allowing some of them to harvest this year's crops.
The site has been cultivated for more than 80 years
Plot holders at Manor Garden Allotments had been due at the High Court to seek a judicial review to stop the London Development Agency (LDA) evicting them.
But the LDA has now agreed access for some gardeners until September.
They will then move to a temporary site in Waltham Forest and can return to Hackney Wick when the Games are over.
On Monday, Waltham Forest council granted planning permission for the gardeners to cultivate 64 plots at Marsh Lane until 2014.
Compensation and support
The LDA said it would be taking ownership of the Hackney Wick site on 2 July, as planned, but a limited number of allotment holders would be allowed supervised access for two days a week until September.
A spokesman said: "We have also arranged compensation and support packages for allotment holders... and after the Games we will be providing a larger allotment site on a landscaped Olympic Park."
Phil Michaels, from Friends of the Earth, said: "We are delighted that LDA have agreed to allow our clients to have access to their allotments until the end of this year's growing season."
John Matheson, chairman of the Manor Gardening Society, said: "Our best hope was that we could have remained on the Olympic site in the course of the Olympics, but that seems no longer feasible, if it ever was.
"We shall now go into temporary exile for seven years, and then return to an Olympics legacy site once the games are over."