[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 23 August 2006, 23:22 GMT 00:22 UK
Teen questioned over gun killing
Victim Peter Woodhams
Mr Woodhams had just returned from the local shops
A 14-year-old boy has been questioned and released on bail after a man was shot dead near his east London home.

Peter Woodhams, 22, who was engaged and had a young son, collapsed in Leslie Road, Canning Town, on Monday. He died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Police think he may have been involved in an argument with a gang of youths near shops in Freemasons Road, shortly before the shooting.

Police said Mr Woodhams was stabbed in the neck in an attack in January.

Scotland Yard has said it is reviewing its response to the stabbing incident on 21 January - also in Freemasons Road.

It is understood Mr Woodhams' family including his fiancee had complained about the police investigation in relation to the earlier incident.

On Wednesday night, Commander Rod Jarman apologised "for any hurt that that investigation may have caused the family".

Establishing the facts of this initial incident and any links it may have to Peter's murder is a priority
Scotland Yard

A Scotland Yard spokesman said they had investigated the stabbing, taken a statement from Mr Woodhams and made a witness appeal but no arrests had been made.

He added that the Specialist Crime Directorate had been liaising with the senior officer locally and a full review was being conducted "to ensure correct standards of police procedure were initially taken".

"Establishing the facts of this initial incident and any links it may have to Peter's murder is a priority."

'Running away'

Mr Woodhams had returned to his home in his car on Monday night, then went outside on foot and was shot.

Det Ch Insp Ian Stevenson said: "I'm appealing for anyone who saw the victim or his vehicle near the shops to contact the incident room.

"I'm also particularly keen to speak with anyone who witnessed the shooting, or saw suspects running away."

Mr Woodhams had gone to the shops in his black Ford Focus when there may have been a row with a group of youths, police said.

He drove home, parked his car and went inside, but came out again soon after and was shot at about 1900 BST.

He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Royal London Hospital.

Tributes laid for shot father

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific