[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 3 March 2006, 17:22 GMT
Damilola accused 'under curfew'
Damilola Taylor
Damilola had only been in Britain three months when he was killed
A boy accused of murdering Damilola Taylor could not have attacked the 10-year-old because he was elsewhere at the time, the Old Bailey has been told.

The youth, then 12, was under 24-hour curfew at a children's home more than a mile away, the defence said.

A log at the home showed he had been to a shop returning later with a worker, shortly before Damilola was stabbed.

He and his brother, 18, who cannot be named, deny murder in 2000, along with Hassan Jihad, 20.

Home worker Sharon Nedrick told the court: "I don't recall them leaving but I recall them returning."

Damilola was found in a stairwell of a block of flats in Peckham - more over a mile away from the home.

Orlando Powell QC, defending, said he would be calling four witnesses from the home to prove his client's innocence.

He described the boy as a "wretched nuisance" at the time of the offence but said a criminal trial was not a "popularity contest" and the jury did not have to like the defendant to find him not guilty.

The trial continues.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific