[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 9 January 2006, 18:53 GMT
Day-long tube strike comes to end
Covent Garden London Underground station
Fewer than 10% of stations were closed
A 24-hour strike by London Underground (LU) ended on Monday evening, after a day which saw 40 stations closed at the peak of the action.

When the strike ended at 1830 GMT a total of 19 stations remained closed and two tube lines were having delays.

Transport for London had promised it would "get people home from work" and said the strike had "minimal impact".

Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union members at ticket offices and stations had walked out in a row over new rotas.

We will be balloting all London Underground staff on the basis that LU is prepared to use unsafe systems in order to defeat the strike, which is unacceptable
RMT union

They claim their introduction will cost many of its members their jobs.

LU said a good service was running on 10 out of 12 lines and denied RMT claims that it was running an "unsafe network".

There were severe delays on the Piccadilly line between Heathrow and Cockfosters.

Separate unofficial action had caused delays on the Northern Line, LU said.

Some drivers at a depot in Morden failed to turn up for work in support of a sacked colleague.

Training issue

An LU spokesman added that the strike had little effect in the morning and said that at the height of the action less than 10% of stations were closed due to industrial action.

But a RMT spokesman described the situation as "chaotic" and claimed staff were working in positions they were not fully trained for.

"We will be balloting all London Underground staff on the basis that LU is prepared to use unsafe systems in order to defeat the strike, which is unacceptable," he said.

LU said these claims were "untrue" and they would not run services or keep stations open where it was not safe to do so, and that all staff had appropriate safety licences.

'Clear agreement'

Tube staff previously walked out on New Year's Eve, causing about 35 stations to close because of a lack of staff.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said a deal was reached more than a year ago to give station staff a 35-hour week and 52 days leave.

He said the "clear agreement" was that the reduction in hours would be covered by redeploying staff, particularly from ticket offices where cash sales have been falling following the introduction of prepaid cards.

However, the union says the new rotas were not what it signed up to, and may leave some stations understaffed and unsafe.

The union said it was pleased an investigation by the Chief Inspector of Railways would be carried out into its claims of safety breaches during the previous strike on New Year's Eve.

Commuters to face second strike
06 Jan 06 |  London
Tube passengers face fares hike
02 Jan 06 |  London


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific