[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 22 December 2005, 23:47 GMT
50k for victimised ex-detective
Charles Shoebridge, when he appeared on the BBC's Crisis Control
Mr Shoebridge appeared as a pundit on the BBC's Crisis Command
A former counter-terrorism detective who accused Scotland Yard of victimising him has been awarded more than 50,000 by an employment tribunal.

Retired Special Branch detective Charles Shoebridge claimed the Met had blocked him from working as a freelance terror pundit on Sky News.

He had won two previous tribunal claims against the force, which prompted the Met's actions, he claimed.

The tribunal in London found in favour of Mr Shoebridge, awarding him 52,146.

The award was made for loss of earnings and injury to feelings, plus interest.

Pundit 'silenced'

The panel's chairman said it had been proved to the tribunal that Mr Shoebridge had been victimised, and ordered Scotland Yard to complete an investigation within six months.

The chairman added the force should "take such action as is necessary to prevent any reoccurrence of the acts which gave rise to the complaint".

In a brief statement, the Met said it would "now consider the tribunal's recommendation".

Speaking after the ruling, Mr Shoebridge, who also appeared on the BBC show Crisis Command, said: "Whilst the motivation for the Met's actions was primarily retaliation for previous successful cases against them, its effect has been to largely silence one of the few truly independent and credible sources of critical analysis available to the media and the public in the security and intelligence field."

[The Met] has pursued an active and consistent policy of adversely interfering in my media work
Charles Shoebridge

Mr Shoebridge, who is based in London, became a TV pundit after retiring from the force in July 2000.

He commented on stories such as the 11 September World Trade Centre attack, May Day riots and the security breach at Windsor Castle.

At the tribunal, held earlier this year, he said his work for Sky News stopped in October 2001 and he was later told that he had been "blocked" at the request of the Met.

He said he was told by Sky News that Scotland Yard had suggested there was a "slight question mark against you".

Mr Shoebridge told the hearing: "The available evidence suggests that, since at least October 2001, the respondent (the Metropolitan Police Service) has pursued an active and consistent policy of adversely interfering in my media work.

"This includes causing... the effective cessation of my employment by Sky News."




SEE ALSO:


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific