[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 24 November 2005, 23:44 GMT
Ronaldo will not face rape charge
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo attended the police station voluntarily
Manchester United footballer Cristiano Ronaldo will not face charges over allegations he raped a woman in a London hotel suite, police said.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has stated there is insufficient evidence to prosecute the Portuguese winger, said a Scotland Yard spokesman.

Ronaldo, 20, always denied the accusations about the alleged serious sexual assault in October.

He was quizzed last month after voluntarily attending a police station.

The Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The Metropolitan Police Service submitted a file to the CPS in November following allegations of a serious sexual assault at a central London hotel on October 2.

"We have been informed today by the CPS that there is insufficient evidence to charge.

"As such, the two men arrested during the course of this investigation will face no further action by police in connection with this matter."

Initially, two women made an allegation of rape, claiming that Ronaldo and another man took them back to a penthouse suite in the Sanderson Hotel in London after they met at a nightspot.

One of the women later withdrew her allegations.

Arrest over Ronaldo 'rape case'
03 Nov 05 |  London

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific