[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 20 October 2005, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK
Man killed in 'night of violence'
David Morley
David Morley was attacked on the South Bank
A barman was murdered by a gang who embarked on a campaign of "random violence for pleasure", the Old Bailey has heard.

David Morley, 37, from Chiswick, west London, died after being badly beaten on London's South Bank last October.

Another seven people were attacked the same night with one alleged assault videoed on a phone, the court heard.

Barry Lee, 20, Reece Sargeant, 21, Darren Case, 18, two 17-year-old boys and a girl, aged 15, all deny murder.

Richard Horwell, prosecuting, told the court: "The lives of the six defendants held such little interest that they set out on a plan to use violence for its own sake.

Nail bomb survivor

"It was random, indiscriminate violence for what can only have been pleasure."

He said: "This case is as depressing as it is alarming."

The court heard how Mr Morley died in the second of a series of attacks carried out around Waterloo and Hungerford Bridges, in the early hours of 30 October 2004.

He was targeted as he sat on a bench with his friend Alastair Whiteside.

Jurors heard how in 1999 he survived a nail bomb attack at the Admiral Duncan pub in Old Compton Street where he worked as a barman.

The defendants (inc Reece Sargeant, Barry Lee and Darren Case)
Weapons were not carried and were hardly necessary when you had such an advantage in numbers
Richard Horwell, prosecuting

Mr Horwell said that as the barman lay on the ground, apparently unconscious, the girl, who was 14 at the time, "kicked his head as if it was a football".

His attackers inflicted 44 different injuries on him and he died from a ruptured spleen and massive blood loss.

After attacking Mr Morley, Mr Horwell said the group went on to attack more people.

"The violence took the form of beatings, kicks and stamping. Weapons were not carried and were hardly necessary when you had such an advantage in numbers," he said.

A mobile phone taken from a victim of a third attack was allegedly found at the home of one of the defendants.

CCTV footage

Mr Horwell told jurors two specks of blood on a trainer found in the room with the phone had been linked to one of the victims.

Another man was hit over the head with a bottle as he sat in Jubilee Gardens and the last attack was on Wayne Miller who was sleeping rough near Waterloo station.

This attack, Mr Horwell said, was filmed by the girl on a mobile phone but no trace was found on mobiles recovered by police.

The jury was also shown CCTV footage of the attack on Mr Miller.

Mobile phone

The girl could be seen holding up her mobile phone. She claimed she had been checking video footage and pictures on one of her co-defendants' phones, rather than filming the attack itself.

But Mr Horwell: "Of course you can look at pictures on a mobile phone but it seems incongruous to do so just feet from the attack."

David Dobson, 24, was the first victim of the night when he was attacked by a group of people as he walked home from work at 0230 GMT.

Mr Horwell said the defendants, who also deny conspiracy to rob and conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm, all lived nearby or had access to addresses in the area.

The trial continues.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific