[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 7 September 2005, 13:26 GMT 14:26 UK
Bomb bus driver pair back on road
George Psaradakis was driving number 30 bus during London bomb attacks
George Psaradakis was praised for his courage by Chancellor Gordon Brown
Two bus drivers whose vehicles were targeted in July's London bombings have returned to work two months on.

George Psaradakis, who was driving the number 30 when it exploded in Tavistock Square, described getting back behind the wheel as "a bit daunting".

He said he felt an affinity with fellow survivors and would like to meet them.

Mark Maybanks had been at the wheel of the number 26 when a bomb failed to detonate on 21 July. He said "We shan't be bombed out of our buses."

Both men have driven on their former routes and returned to Stagecoach depot in Stratford, east London, for their first full day back at work.

Mr Psaradakis, 49, said it had been poignant passing the spot where his bus had blown apart killing 14 people on 7 July.

But he added: "I feel ready to go out there and serve our glorious, heroic and beautiful capital.

Alternative routes

"London is beautiful and despite the horrendous incident of 7/7, London is safe to live, to work and to visit."

The father-of-three, who was praised for his courage by Chancellor Gordon Brown, thanked God for helping him come out of his bus alive.

"Obviously I can't meet the ones that perished but I would be very pleased to meet some of the survivors," he said.

Colleague Mr Maybanks, who had been driving his bus for 18 months when a bomb failed to go off as he drove through Shoreditch, east London, was also apprehensive about getting back on his route.

Mark Maybanks, bus driver during London bombings
Mark Maybanks had only been driving a bus for 18 months

"As I drove past the point of the incident I had a look around and realised I was still in one piece, and I just carried on.

"After that everything just flooded into place," he said.

Mr Maybanks, 38, said Stagecoach had offered them alternative routes.

"But we have said no, we will go back to the same routes because we are not scared to do them," he said.

Their bosses and union paid tribute to the men's bravery and professionalism.

Eddie McDermott, regional secretary of the Transport and General Workers Union for London and the South East, said: "They are cracking examples to Londoners and to the union and to the company."

Ray Wright, operations manager of the Stratford depot, described the men as model employees.




BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See George Psaradakis take his bus back out on the road



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific