[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 22 January, 2004, 11:44 GMT
Power firms avoid court over cuts
Victoria Underground
Commuters using the Tube in south London and Kent were affected
The government says electricity firms will not be prosecuted over power cuts that hit parts of the UK last year.

Results from an official investigation into the cuts in London, Kent and the West Midlands have been sent in confidence to the companies involved.

Department of Trade and Industry lawyers have decided not to prosecute, but will be monitoring their response to recommendations in the report.

In August a power failure on the Tube caused chaos for thousands of people.

Commuters using the network and rail services in south London and Kent were affected and homes in the West Midlands were without power on 5 September.

Energy Minister Stephen Timms said recommendations from the Engineering Inspectorate were also sent so the firms could take the necessary action.

He said the companies could use the recommendations to "enhance the robustness" of their networks and make power cuts less likely in the future.

If the companies do not comply then the lawyers could take legal action.




SEE ALSO:
Blackout report 'misleading'
17 Oct 03  |  London
Power cut causes chaos
28 Aug 03  |  London


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific