[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 8 August, 2003, 15:03 GMT 16:03 UK
Family's anger at Tube death sentencing
Thomas Scott
Thomas Scott never regained consciousness after the fight
The family of an antiques dealer who died after a fight outside a Tube station say they have been denied justice after four youths were sentenced to youth detention.

Thomas Scott, 34, from Newark, Nottinghamshire was visiting his half-brother Nicholas in north London when he became involved in a scuffle with a gang of youths outside Kentish Town Tube station on 20 October 2002.

It turned into a rolling fight up Kentish Town Road during which Mr Scott was punched with a knuckle duster, fracturing his skull, and he was hit with a bread crate.

The gang ran off leaving him lying on the ground. He died later in hospital when his life support machine was switched off after he was pronounced brain dead.

His brother Nicholas was treated at hospital for a swollen nose, black eyes and bruises.

Four young men were cleared of murder and manslaughter at the Old Bailey in July but were convicted of violent disorder.

We all feel we will never be able to put a line under this and put Tom to rest
Nicholas Scott
On Friday Mohammed Ahmed, 20, from Kentish Town was sentenced to two years in a young offenders' institution.

Two 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old, who can not be named for legal reasons were each given 18-month detention and training orders.

After the hearing, Nicholas Scott said: "The whole family has been waiting for the day when we would get justice for Tommy, but that day has never arrived.

"We all feel we will never be able to put a line under this and put Tom to rest."

The brothers had been trying to get back to Hendon, north London but had got on the wrong tube and realised they missed the last train.

Ultimately catastrophic incident

"It seems such a horrible thing that such a simple mistake changes everybody's lives," added Nicholas.

"You turn right and it's OK but you turn left and somebody dies."

Sentencing the four at Snaresbrook Crown Court, Judge Martin Stephens QC told them they had each taken part in a "violent and ultimately catastrophic incident".

He added: "In the course of the incident Mr Thomas Scott was unlawfully killed.

"The jury acquitted each of you of involvement in his death and, of course, I respect those verdicts.

"But the terrible aspect of violent disorder in which you all took part only serves to illustrate the disastrous results that can follow when people like you take part in violence on the streets at night."

Detective Sergeant Bryan Gunn, of the Metropolitan Police's Special Crime Directorate, said after the case: "We certainly feel wholeheartedly for the family".

"It was a tragic, needless death."

Jury told of tube station attack
19 Jun 03  |  Nottinghamshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific