Page last updated at 15:46 GMT, Saturday, 18 April 2009 16:46 UK

Boy in hospital after adder bite

Jack Middleton in hospital
The palm of Jack's hand was black and badly swollen

A seven-year-old boy is being treated in hospital after being bitten by an adder at a Lincolnshire beauty spot.

Jack Middleton, from Billinghay near Sleaford, had been on a family visit to Ostlers Plantation in Woodhall Spa.

His mother, Sophie, said her son's hand was black and swollen after being bitten by the snake.

Adders are one of the most widespread species of snake but Britain's only venomous reptile. Incidents of humans being bitten are unusual.

Jack remains in Lincoln County Hospital for observation.

His grandfather Harry Middleton said the snake hissed and spat after one of Jack's younger cousins picked it up, then bit Jack as she dropped it.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Trust's hopes to boost wildlife
15 Apr 09 |  Suffolk
Secret life of adders is tracked
02 Apr 09 |  England

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific