[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 28 February 2006, 13:34 GMT
Inquiry into grandstand collapse
Collapsed seats
People suffered broken bones, cuts and shock
No prosecutions will be necessary after the collapse of a temporary grandstand at the Lincolnshire Showground, an inquiry has concluded.

Sixty-two people were injured in the incident at the Grapevine Christian festival in August 2004. People suffered broken bones, cuts and shock.

An inquiry by West Lindsey District Council said there had been no "intent or flagrant disregard" for safety.

Joanne Riddell from the authority said no single party was to blame.

"There was no problem with the seating - it was put up correctly," she said after the 18-month inquiry was tabled.

"We concluded that basically prior to the collapse the rock band requested the audience jumped in a synchronised manner.

"Obviously that was something that the event organisers and the suppliers of the seating never considered would be a request."

Paul Benger, of the Grapevine festival organisers Ground Level, said they had expected the outcome of the inquiry and were satisfied that no further action would be brought.

Nobody from grandstand suppliers Mobile Stadiums was available to comment.


SEE ALSO:
Witness saw 'terrifying' collapse
31 Aug 04 |  Lincolnshire
Stand collapses at religious show
30 Aug 04 |  Lincolnshire
Religion show stand fall probed
30 Aug 04 |  Lincolnshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific