[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 August 2005, 19:54 GMT 20:54 UK
Compensation for bomb blast man
Graham Carter at the Taksim Hospital in Istanbul
Graham Carter was treated for eye injuries after the blast
A Lincs man who survived a terrorist bombing is to receive compensation after nearly two years of waiting.

Graham Carter, from Heckington, near Sleaford, lost his fiancee in the suicide bombing of the British Embassy in Istanbul in November 2003.

He was visiting the embassy to get a visa for his fiancee, Hulya Donmez. She was among 27 victims of the blast.

Mr Carter was told his holiday insurance did not cover acts of terrorism but he will now get money.

He had been told the Foreign Office would not compensate him either, despite making payments to its workers and contractors.

Sleaford and North Hykeham MP Douglas Hogg backed Mr Carter's battle, and the government has now accepted he should be compensated.

Mr Carter suffered injuries to his eyes and face.

A compensation figure has not yet been agreed.


SEE ALSO:
Blast Briton's fiancee 'brain dead'
23 Nov 03 |  Lincolnshire
Istanbul blast fiancée still alive
21 Nov 03 |  Lincolnshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific