A woman who was bitten by a venomous snake as she lay sleeping in her bed thought she was having a bad dream.
Sue Hall was bitten on the leg by an adder as she lay in her bed
Sue Hall, from Lostock Hall, Lancashire said that she remembered waking up in the night with excruciating pain in her leg last Friday.
She later noticed a strange mark and swelling on her leg, but did not seek medical advice until 14 November.
Doctors confirmed that she had been bitten by an adder snake which, though venomous, was not likely to be fatal.
"I've never seen or been interested in snakes, to find I've been bitten by one in the middle of the night was horrendous," Sue Hall said.
"The chances are it's gone out the same way it came in, through the window.
"I sleep covered up to my eyes now, I don't let any part of me leave the duvet," she added.