[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 1 January 2006, 16:11 GMT
Firefighters rescue cat from fire
A black cat has been rescued from a fire which badly damaged a flat in Blackpool early on Sunday.

Local residents called the emergency services after seeing plumes of black smoke coming from the windows of the building on Lord Street.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and were faced with a rapidly developing fire.

They found all the flats were empty except for a black cat which was rescued and reunited with its owner.

The fire is thought to have been started by a cigarette and is not being treated as suspicious, Lancashire Fire Service said.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific