Page last updated at 18:21 GMT, Monday, 1 March 2010

Replica Uzi gun man 'lawfully killed' by Kent Police

Police at the scene
The inquest was told Dayniel Tucker died instantly

A man who was shot dead by police after he pointed a replica Uzi machine gun at officers was lawfully killed, an inquest jury has found.

Dayniel Tucker, 39, was shot by firearms officers sent to Stansted near Sevenoaks, Kent, on 29 December 2007.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation concluded their actions were justified.

A replica gun found nearby looked genuine at first, a ballistics experts told the Gravesend inquest.

Gravesend Coroner's Court heard that Mr Tucker, a precision engineer, of Adisham Green, Sittingbourne, had suffered from depression and seasonal affective disorder.

Died instantly

The inquest was told his car was found in a nearby field with a hose connected to the exhaust pipe and he had attempted suicide in the past.

Jurors heard a man identifying himself as Dayniel Tucker called 999 on 29 December and reported that he had seen a man pointing a firearm at him.

When the Kent Police force communications centre phoned the caller back to ask him to describe the gun, he said it looked like an Uzi-type sub-machine gun.

Two armed response vehicles arrived in Tumblefield Road and saw Mr Tucker concealing something in his jacket.

When they were about 20m away, a policeman referred to only as "Officer A", saw Mr Tucker take a gun from his jacket and point it directly at him.

Officer A shouted: "Armed police, drop the weapon, drop the weapon now."

The inquest heard Mr Tucker was shot twice by police marksmen and died instantly.

'Tragic circumstances'

Ballistics specialist Franco Tomei said when when he first saw the firearm he believed it was a real sub-machine gun, capable of firing up to 600 rounds a minute, but after a closer inspection he realised it was an imitation.


Dr Fiona Perry, a toxicology expert, said post-mortem tests revealed traces of alcohol, cannabis and carbon monoxide in Mr Tucker's body and he was "likely to have been under the influence of drugs at the time of his death".

IPCC Commissioner Mike Franklin said: "The events of the 29 December 2007 have had a lasting impact on all involved. Mr Tucker's family and friends lost a loved one in tragic circumstances, and the firearms officers have to live with the fact that they shot and killed a man."

He said officers were equipped with Tasers and baton rounds, but the circumstances meant the use of less lethal weapons was not an option.

Print Sponsor

Police shooting inquest resumes
22 Feb 10 |  Kent
Man shot dead by police is named
02 Jan 08 |  Kent
Police shooting probe continues
31 Dec 07 |  Kent
Inquiry after officers shoot man
30 Dec 07 |  Kent
Man shot dead by police marksmen
29 Dec 07 |  Kent

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific