Page last updated at 20:16 GMT, Friday, 22 January 2010

Securitas gang must pay back money from 53m raid

Securitas depot
The robbery took place at a Securitas depot in Tonbridge in 2006

Six men convicted for their roles in Britain's biggest cash raid have been ordered to pay back the stolen money.

They were told by a judge at Woolwich Crown Court they must comply with the confiscation orders within six months or face more jail time.

Kent Police have so far found £21m of the £53m stolen in the Securitas raid in Tonbridge, Kent, in February 2006.

Paul Allen, of Chatham, who was jailed for 18 years in October, has accepted he benefited to the sum of £1.9m.

It is important to ensure that those involved in this horrific crime do not benefit financially
Det Insp Mark Fairhurst

During the hearing on Friday, Mr Justice Penry-Davey agreed that assets to the value of £1.23m were available to be confiscated and ordered Allen, 31, to pay that sum.

The judge dismissed an application made by Stuart Royle in which he claimed the money he gained from the robbery was beyond his control or reach and ordered him to pay back £2m.

Car salesman Royle, 51, from Maidstone, was jailed indefinitely in January 2008 along with four other men after being convicted for their part in the robbery.

Mr Penry-Davey ordered a third man, Ermir Hysenaj, 30, from Crowborough, East Sussex, to pay £250,000.

Child kidnapped

Lea Rusha, 37, from Southborough, Jetmir Bucpapa, 28, from Tonbridge, and Roger Coutts, 32, from Welling, south-east London, were made the subject of nominal confiscation orders after the judge ruled there was enough evidence to show money recovered at three locations was their share of the proceeds.

The men will be called before the courts if they show unexplained financial gain in the future, a spokesman for Kent Police said.

Speaking after the hearing, Det Insp Mark Fairhurst said: "Six men were convicted of their part in a robbery which involved the kidnap of a woman and child and keeping them and the Securitas employees hostage at gunpoint.

"The presiding judge has dismissed claims made by some of the defendants in which they have tried to mask the actual amounts of money they have benefited from following the robbery.

"It is important to ensure that those involved in this horrific crime do not benefit financially."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific