Page last updated at 11:05 GMT, Friday, 17 July 2009 12:05 UK

Tests after seven-year-old dies

Test are being carried out to determine whether the death of a seven-year-old boy in Kent was linked to swine flu.

Health officials said the youngster, from Medway, was admitted to hospital with a range of complications which were not related to the virus.

Yvonne Doyle, regional director of public health at NHS South East Coast, said the cause of death had so far not been confirmed.

The boy was a pupil at English Martyrs' Catholic Primary School, in Rochester.

Medway Council said the school had remained open and parents had been informed.

So far 29 people have died in the UK after contracting swine flu - 26 in England and three in Scotland - and there have been 55,000 new cases of the virus reported in the past week alone.

A baby under six months old is among the latest deaths from swine flu.

London health chiefs said the baby died at Royal Free Hospital on 8 July.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Woman gave birth before flu death
17 Jul 09 |  Health
Swine flu death in West Midlands
17 Jul 09 |  West Midlands

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific