BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 20 January 2008, 18:00 GMT
Crackdown on mobile phone drivers
Driver with mobile phone
Over 3,000 penalties were issued by Kent Police in nine months
An awareness campaign to educate motorists about the dangers of using a handheld mobile phone while driving is getting under way in Kent.

Police said there were still a number of people who chose to disobey the law, with 3,399 penalty tickets issued between March and December last year.

The figures have prompted a new effort to clamp down on offenders.

Marked and unmarked police patrols will be on duty while an advertising campaign aims to highlight the offence.

Tougher penalties were introduced in February last year for people caught driving vehicles whilst using a handheld mobile.

Offending motorists can receive a 60 fine and three penalty points on their licence.

Insp Geoff Wood said the next two weeks would see additional enforcement action across the county.

SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific