BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 20 January 2008, 17:30 GMT
Three survive fire started by cat
Three people had to be led to safety after a house fire in Kent that was believed to have been started by a cat.

Firefighters think the family pet sparked the blaze at the terraced house in Longley Road, Strood, by knocking a cushion onto a tealight.

Crews in breathing apparatus rescued the occupants of the property following the fire early on Friday morning.

Kent Fire and Rescue said there was no working smoke alarm in the house and the family had been lucky to survive.

About 80% of the ground floor lounge was destroyed by the fire along with almost half of the kitchen.

No-one was injured but fire crews have stressed the dangers of using candles in the home.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific