A 70-year-old disabled woman has died in a house fire in Kent after a neighbour who tried to save her was unable to get through the flames.
Firefighters said the blaze was difficult to tackle
The blaze broke out on the ground floor of the house in Turketel Road, Folkestone, on Friday night.
The woman's 65-year-old husband banged on neighbours' doors for help when she became trapped in her bedroom.
He was taken to hospital in Ashford suffering from burns and the effects of smoke inhalation.
Frank Collier, a neighbour, said: "He came for help and I think he was in state of shock.
"They called the fire brigade and our neighbour across the road went round into the house to see if he could help but I think the situation was a bit too difficult."
The woman's husband was saved by firefighters.
Peter Orton, from Kent Fire and Rescue Service, said: "When the crews made entry into the premises it was a very hot fire and they found it very difficult to tackle in the early stages."
A fire service spokesman said a first floor bedroom had been completely destroyed in the fire.
It took more than 90 minutes to douse the blaze.
A spokesman for Kent Police said the fire was not currently being treated as suspicious.