[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 9 September 2006, 15:40 GMT 16:40 UK
Woman, 70, killed in house blaze
The house where the fire took place
Firefighters said the blaze was difficult to tackle
A 70-year-old disabled woman has died in a house fire in Kent after a neighbour who tried to save her was unable to get through the flames.

The blaze broke out on the ground floor of the house in Turketel Road, Folkestone, on Friday night.

The woman's 65-year-old husband banged on neighbours' doors for help when she became trapped in her bedroom.

He was taken to hospital in Ashford suffering from burns and the effects of smoke inhalation.

Frank Collier, a neighbour, said: "He came for help and I think he was in state of shock.

"They called the fire brigade and our neighbour across the road went round into the house to see if he could help but I think the situation was a bit too difficult."

'Completely destroyed'

The woman's husband was saved by firefighters.

Peter Orton, from Kent Fire and Rescue Service, said: "When the crews made entry into the premises it was a very hot fire and they found it very difficult to tackle in the early stages."

A fire service spokesman said a first floor bedroom had been completely destroyed in the fire.

It took more than 90 minutes to douse the blaze.

A spokesman for Kent Police said the fire was not currently being treated as suspicious.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific