[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 7 March 2006, 09:48 GMT
Robbery police find millions more
Forensic search being carried out at a garage in Southborough
Police attention was focused around a block of private garages
As much as 10m more cash has been found by police investigating the 53m Securitas depot robbery in Kent, BBC News has learnt.

The money is in addition to 11m of stolen cash already seized by police officers in a series of raids.

The exact size of the new haul, found in the past 36 hours, is not yet known, but it is believed to be millions.

Forensic searches have been taking place at a domestic garage in Southborough, near Tunbridge Wells.

Police activity began at the private lock-up on Sunday evening.

Forensic officers in white boiler suits were working at the scene, which was cordoned off on Monday.

I'd like to make clear our absolute determination to catch the people who committed this crime
Chief Constable Michael Fuller
Five people have been charged after the depot raid in Tonbridge on 22 February.

A total of 17 people have been arrested.

Kent Chief Constable Michael Fuller said more than 9m was seized in a police raid on a vehicle repair yard in Welling, south-east London, last week.

Mr Fuller said officers were doing "everything humanly possible" to ensure no-one profited from the raid.

In less than two weeks since the raid in Tonbridge, police have followed up 1,200 pieces of information, seized more than 3,500 exhibits, and taken more than 300 witness statements.

Chief Constable Michael Fuller
Chief Constable Michael Fuller said police were following up every lead

A number of vehicles believed to be used in the crime have also been recovered, and at least 20 premises searched.

Mr Fuller said the scale of the operation was massive, with more than 300 police officers and staff working on the hunt for those responsible.

"I'd like to make clear our absolute determination to catch the people who committed this crime," he said.

"We will do everything humanly possible to retrieve all the stolen money and track down the criminals involved.

'Human experience'

"Our aim is to ensure that no-one profits from this crime.

"We will do whatever it takes and go wherever we need to in the world to achieve this aim."

Mr Fuller said the amount of money stolen should not overshadow the human experience of those involved in the ordeal.

He said depot manager Colin Dixon, his wife Lynn and nine-year-old son, who were held at gunpoint in the hours leading up to the robbery, were recovering well.

Mr Fuller said the investigation was likely to continue for many months and involve "meticulous attention to detail".




BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
Chief Constable Michael Fuller on the confirmed cash seizure



SEE ALSO:


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific