A man has been bitten on the arm by a tropical spider which crawled out of a packet of bananas.
Tesco has offered Mr Wright £200 in compensation
Tesco confirmed Paul Wright needed hospital treatment after the Huntsman spider caused an allergic reaction.
Mr Wright, 46, from Thanet, Kent, was bitten at home after buying the bananas from a Tesco store in Broadstairs.
Tesco said it was "one-off" incident and offered Mr Wright a £200 goodwill gesture and apologised. The spider was not poisonous.
The supermarket giant said Mr Wright was taken to hospital and given antibiotics to combat the allergic reaction and a pest control firm was called in to remove the spider.
A Tesco spokeswoman said: "It is not a poisonous spider, but he did have some allergic reaction to the bite.
"This is very much a one-off. Unfortunately, despite the checks and procedures, it was one that 'slipped through', so to speak.
"We have offered him £200. It is a gesture of goodwill and we apologise to him for the distress caused."
The bananas came from the Caribbean and it is thought the spider came from there, the spokeswoman said.
But she said the bananas had been packaged by a supplier for Tesco in the UK.
The spokeswoman said: "We have been talking to them (the packers) and they have been very clear about the procedures they have in place.
"We have obviously reminded them of the importance of ensuring that products are free of any foreign bodies, spiders in particular."