Page last updated at 14:50 GMT, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 15:50 UK

Claudia Lawrence message board closed over abuse

Claudia Lawrence
Claudia Lawrence has been missing for 13 months

A website message board set up to help find missing York chef Claudia Lawrence has been removed after it was used to target her friends with abuse.

The board was set up in May last year to help trace Miss Lawrence who was last seen leaving work at the University of York on 18 March 2009.

But the board's creators said it was "hijacked" by people attacking Miss Lawrence's close friends.

A spokesman for her father, Peter Lawrence, said it was upsetting.

The police investigation into Miss Lawrence's disappearance has focused on her love life and other platonic relationships that her family and friends did not know about.

'Evil people'

Numerous appeals for information have been made by her father and the hunt for her has taken detectives to Cyprus and the Republic of Ireland.

Her disappearance is being treated as suspected murder.

Family spokesman Martin Dales said: "One of the ideas of the message board was that people could leave information and good wishes that were good for the family and made them feel supported.

"[The board] seemed to be hijacked by what I would describe as evil people determined to pull down some friends and have a go at the family.

"In the end we got to the point where it was just grossly unfair on people."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
New searches in Claudia inquiry
24 Mar 10 |  North Yorkshire
Police hunt Claudia 'mystery' man
18 Mar 10 |  North Yorkshire
Huge search for missing Claudia
18 Mar 10 |  North Yorkshire
Father's anguish on anniversary
18 Mar 10 |  North Yorkshire
Arrest over bogus Claudia message
18 Feb 10 |  North Yorkshire
Police set to review Claudia team
19 Nov 09 |  North Yorkshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific