Page last updated at 14:16 GMT, Thursday, 19 June 2008 15:16 UK

Man trapped in bath for two days

A man has been rescued after spending two days stuck in his bath.

Firefighters discovered the man after tackling a fire at a neighbouring flat in Goole, East Yorkshire, on Thursday.

A man and woman found semi-conscious in the blaze at Eastgate Flats were taken to hospital after inhaling smoke. The ground-floor flat was badly damaged.

During a routine check on neighbouring flats, fire officers found a man who had been unable to get out of his bath since Tuesday because of illness.

Glenn Ramsden, from the Humberside Fire & Rescue Service, said: "It is a very sad story for the man in the bath, who was clearly in need of urgent medical treatment.

"The crew's attention was brought to a flat that was clearly occupied but the person appeared to be in difficulty.

"Firefighters used their equipment to break into the flat and discovered that the gentleman had suffered a medical condition which prevented him from moving."

Paramedics were called and the fire crews rescued the man.

"We are pleased that our teams were on hand to offer assistance to the gentleman and we pass on our best wishes to him for a speedy recovery."

He said the victims of the flat fire were "extremely lucky to have survived".

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific