[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 30 May 2007, 07:49 GMT 08:49 UK
Hamster bite puts man in hospital
A man was taken to hospital after suffering a severe allergic reaction when he was bitten by a hamster.

The 50-year-old was trying to retrieve his pet from under the floorboards of his home near Evesham, Worcestershire, when the rodent attacked.

It had escaped after his seven-year-old daughter had accidentally let it out of its cage on Monday night.

Paramedics said the man survived largely through giving himself anti-allergy drugs before they arrived.

Severe reaction

He had suffered severe breathing difficulties and was in a semi-conscious state when the ambulance arrived at his home.

They gave him further medication and took him to Alexandra Hospital, in Redditch.

An ambulance service spokesman said: "If you have been identified as someone who can have severe reactions it is vital that you and your family know what to do.

"The man's actions in administering drugs to himself may well have played an important part in his recovery."


SEE ALSO
Boy is treated with hamster cells
12 Apr 07 |  West Yorkshire
Trapped hamster saved by vacuum
14 Mar 07 |  Staffordshire
Hamster survives giant shredder
02 Jun 06 |  North East Wales

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific