Page last updated at 17:17 GMT, Wednesday, 22 April 2009 18:17 UK

Pet cat creates family gas scare

Max the cat
Max the cat's hair clogged up the Adams family's boiler

A family fell ill with carbon monoxide poisoning after their cat's hair blocked the ventilation to the home's boiler.

The Adams family, of Ringwood, Hampshire, started feeling the effects of the toxic gas in January.

Inspectors discovered the boiler, which requires fresh air to be pumped in and out for ventilation, was completely blocked with Max the cat's hair.

It has since been cleared and each member of the family has recovered.

Max used to lie in front of the ventilator, under the family's gas fire, causing his fur to build up in the appliance.

Dr Alan Williams at The Royal Bournemouth Hospital, said: "All the family members were experiencing headaches, lethargy and some of the children had some abdominal symptoms."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Gas engineer safety site launches
31 Mar 09 |  Technology
Deadly gas found at new housing
04 Feb 09 |  Dorset
Ten treated for carbon monoxide
10 Oct 08 |  Merseyside

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific