Page last updated at 17:16 GMT, Friday, 3 April 2009 18:16 UK

Greedy dog cheats chocolate death

Polly, with her owner Yvonne Taylor
Polly narrowly avoided death by chocolate after eating 20 cupcakes

A dog narrowly avoided death after eating more than 20 chocolate cupcakes.

Polly, a one-year-old Patterdale terrier from Southampton, ate the cakes after being accidentally locked in the family's kitchen by her owners.

Owner Yvonne Taylor found the canine surrounded by chocolate wrappers and, knowing of the dangers of cocoa poisoning, contacted vets.

The greedy canine has since made a full recovery after treatment at an animal hospital in Southampton.

'Extra mile'

Ms Taylor said: "I remember reading that cocoa could be poisonous to pets, and having used quite a lot in the cakes, I was concerned for her.

"The PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) vets were brilliant and went that extra mile to save Polly.

"They gave her an injection to induce vomiting and then proceeded to wash out her stomach under a general anaesthetic."

A PDSA spokesman, said: "Easter wouldn't be Easter without chocolate, but it is a time when pets are at increased risk from potentially fatal chocolate poisoning.

"Luckily, Polly pulled through and survived. The amount of chocolate she ate could have killed her had her owner not recognised the danger and contacted PDSA so swiftly."

Print Sponsor

Dog owners get chocolate warning
30 Dec 08 |  Derbyshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific