Page last updated at 11:33 GMT, Saturday, 25 October 2008 12:33 UK

Hannah accused 'owed man 18,000'

Hannah Foster
Hannah Foster disappeared after a night out with a friend in March 2003

The man accused of murdering teenager Hannah Foster had not repaid up to 18,000 to a colleague who later gave his name to police, a court heard.

Maninder Pal Singh Kohli's name was given to detectives by James Dennis, a supervisor at a Southampton delivery firm, Winchester Crown Court heard.

Hannah Foster disappeared in the city on 14 March 2003 after a night out. Her body was found two days later.

Mr Kohli, 40, denies kidnap, false imprisonment, rape and murder.

Hannah, a 17-year-old A-level student, had been walking a short distance from a bus stop to her home in the Portswood area of the city when she vanished.

Mr Kohli was working as a sandwich delivery driver for Hazelwood Foods in Southampton when Hannah disappeared, the court was told on Friday.

CCTV footage
Mr Kohli was apparently seen on CCTV working the day after Hannah vanished

David Slater, the company's depot manager at the time, told the court his son-in-law, James Dennis, had lent Mr Kohli about 15,000.

Mr Dennis also worked at Hazelwood Foods, as a supervisor.

The court had already heard on Thursday that Mr Dennis gave Mr Kohli's name to police after an appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch TV programme into Hannah's death.

Mr Slater told jurors on Friday that Mr Dennis had spoken to him and said he was giving cash to Mr Kohli because he was in financial problems. He was "helping him out".

'Reported for work'

He said Mr Dennis had continued to give money to Mr Kohli despite pressure on him to get the money back.

Mr Slater was asked if he was aware of Mr Kohli having some sort of hold over Mr Dennis, whether it was perhaps blackmail. "No," Mr Slater said.

Allington Lane, West End, Southampton
Hannah's body was found in West End, Southampton on 16 March 2003

Mr Kohli reported for work the morning after Hannah disappeared, the court was also told.

He was seen on CCTV footage in Portsmouth, dated 15 March 2003, before he finished work early - complaining to his boss of a bad back, the court heard.

The van he used that day was later seized. Jurors heard on Thursday that when it was examined, a metal pole was found inside with apparent blood on it.

The trial continues.

TV appeal 'named Hannah accused'
21 Oct 08 |  Hampshire
Hannah accused CCTV images shown
17 Oct 08 |  Hampshire
Hannah 'struggled with attacker'
16 Oct 08 |  Hampshire
Friend 'last to see Hannah alive'
15 Oct 08 |  Hampshire
No response to Hannah's 999 call
14 Oct 08 |  Hampshire
Hannah 'rang 999 before murder'
14 Oct 08 |  Hampshire

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific