BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 28 December 2007, 13:03 GMT
Six injured by exploding fondue
Three people were taken to hospital with serious burns after a gas-powered fondue set exploded.

The emergency services were called to Shedfield, Southampton, after reports that hot oil had exploded, injuring six people on Thursday evening.

A 15-year-old girl and a man and woman in their early 40s suffered "very serious injuries" on their hands, faces and arms.

Another three people sustained minor injuries in the incident.

Firefighters and three ambulance crews administered first aid at the house.

A small fire around the fondue set, which was powered by a small gas cylinder, was already out by the time they arrived.

The three people most seriously injured were treated at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth.

A spokesperson for South Central Ambulance Service said: "They all had burns of varying degrees and three were very seriously injured.

She added: "This is unusual. I have never heard of anything like this happening here before."



RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific