Three people were taken to hospital with serious burns after a gas-powered fondue set exploded.
The emergency services were called to Shedfield, Southampton, after reports that hot oil had exploded, injuring six people on Thursday evening.
A 15-year-old girl and a man and woman in their early 40s suffered "very serious injuries" on their hands, faces and arms.
Another three people sustained minor injuries in the incident.
Firefighters and three ambulance crews administered first aid at the house.
A small fire around the fondue set, which was powered by a small gas cylinder, was already out by the time they arrived.
The three people most seriously injured were treated at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth.
A spokesperson for South Central Ambulance Service said: "They all had burns of varying degrees and three were very seriously injured.
She added: "This is unusual. I have never heard of anything like this happening here before."