[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 11:31 GMT 12:31 UK
Giraffe suffocates during journey
A giraffe seen trying to escape from a transporter at a Hampshire service station has died.

Eight-year-old Rothschild giraffe Kwaheri suffocated in what appeared to be an allergic reaction to a sedative.

The male giraffe was being transported from Longleat Zoo to Port Lympne, Kent, to take part in a breeding programme.

Police were called to Buck's service station on the A303 near Winchester on Tuesday after reports that the 18ft (5.5m) animal was on the loose.

The driver had aborted the trip after part of the roof canvas became damaged, Longleat Safari Park said in a statement.

This appears to have been a tragic accident
Keith Harris, Longleat

During the return journey the giraffe developed breathing problems due to regurgitation, which may have been caused by an allergic reaction to the sedation administered for the transit.

The statement added: "Kwaheri was checked on the day and he was deemed fit and well."

Keith Harris, head of Safari Park at Longleat, said: "This appears to have been a tragic accident.

"Having moved giraffes all over Europe without incident we are obviously very upset by this tragic death and obviously will be investigating further to ensure that this does not happen again."


SEE ALSO:
Easter feast for park's giraffes
05 Apr 03 |  Wiltshire
Amorous elephants sent to France
25 Jan 03 |  England
Longleat auction raises 27m
14 Jun 02 |  Entertainment
The claws are out at Longleat
31 May 02 |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific