[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 8 March 2006, 13:20 GMT
Unexploded mine still on seabed
An unexploded mine found off the Isle of Wight three weeks ago has still not been dealt with, the coastguard says.

The explosive, thought to be from World War II, was discovered by the crew of the Royal Navy minehunter HMS Walney while on exercise last month.

Bad weather has halted the Royal Navy's plans to deal with the mine on Wednesday and it has had to be left lying on the seabed off The Needles.

Solent Coastguard said it was warning trawlers and dredgers about the mine.

It said it believed the navy would make a fresh attempt to deal with it next week.


SEE ALSO:
Sailors warned of unexploded mine
15 Feb 06 |  Hampshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific