Page last updated at 11:07 GMT, Thursday, 17 July 2008 12:07 UK

Flood-hit areas to share in 31m

Canterbury Leys, Tewkesbury July 2007: pic E Nutley
An extra 17m has been announced to repair roads and bridges

A further 31m funding for areas affected by last year's floods, floods recovery minister John Healey has said.

Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury, Swindon, Hull, South Yorkshire and East Riding will share the cash from the government's special restoration fund.

This money is on top of 100m provided by the government to date.

It includes a further 17m also announced today by transport minister Rosie Winterton to repair roads and bridges damaged by the floods.

Mr Healey has spent time meeting one family in Tewkesbury whose home was hit by the floods in July, forcing them to live in a caravan

Father Tim Aston said the minister had asked about their experiences.

"I said we don't feel bitter, that living in a caravan as a family had been challenging but that for us it was in the past now," said Mr Aston.

Restoration fund allocations
7.5m to Hull bringing their total support to date to almost 15.5m
4.1m to authorities in Gloucestershire bringing their total support to date to almost 29m
7m to authorities in South Yorkshire bringing their total support to date to 28.5m
4m to East Riding bringing their total support to date to 15.2m

Mr Healey had also been keen to explain how detailed work goes on in the background before any new plans are accepted for building on floodplains.

"When they assured me a lot of work goes on behind the scenes with regard to planning where and how water is managed and what impact there will be on existing properties I feel reassured," said Mr Aston.

"He assured me a lot of work goes into balancing new housing with existing homes."

Announcing the funding Mr Healey said: "I have been impressed by people's resilience and how communities have pulled together to get back on their feet.

"I am able to announce that 62 local authorities will receive a share of a further 31m to support their continued efforts to rebuild their communities. They will be free to spend this as they see fit, depending on local priorities.

"The announcement of 17m more to repair roads and bridges will be a welcome double cash boost for some areas."

Earlier this week Mr Healey announced the number of flood-hit families still out of their homes has fallen by a quarter in the last month and the number living in caravans has halved.

It means around 3,400 households are either living in temporary accommodation, in caravans or the top floor of their homes - down from 5,659 at the end of April.




SEE ALSO
Caravan Christmas for thousands
22 Dec 07 |  Gloucestershire
County 'came close to disaster'
10 Jul 08 |  Gloucestershire
Flood victims still in caravans
20 May 08 |  England

RELATED BBC LINKS



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific