[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 1 September, 2004, 17:15 GMT 18:15 UK
Dive man died after kit mistake
National Diving Centre
Mr Girvan ran out of oxygen during a dive at a quarry in Tidenham
A man died during a dive at a flooded quarry because he did not switch on his breathing apparatus, an inquest heard.

Edwin Girvan, 44, of Laleham, west London, died of asphyxia at the National Diving Centre at Tidenham, Gloucestershire, on 24 May 2004.

The Gloucester inquest heard that Mr Girvan, an experienced diver, was trying out new diving equipment with two friends at the dive site.

The inquest recorded a verdict of accidental death.

On the day of the accident the trio had planned to dive 50 metres to the bottom of the former quarry.

Friend Nick Gilbert said he and Edina Ochert, from Buckinghamshire, saw Mr Girvan go though the normal safety checks before the dive.

Mr Girvan switched off his diving equipment to preserve the battery while he waited for his diving companions.

They joined him in the water several minutes later, but Mr Girvan failed to switch the equipment back on again and ran out of oxygen after 10 metres.

He then dropped to the bottom of the lake.




SEE ALSO:
Diving centre opens after tragedy
24 May 04  |  Gloucestershire
Man's body found at diving centre
24 May 04  |  Gloucestershire
Divers' bodies officially named
14 Apr 04  |  Gloucestershire
Man in diving tragedy is named
26 May 04  |  Gloucestershire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific