Page last updated at 15:14 GMT, Saturday, 8 August 2009 16:14 UK

Thatched roof destroyed in fire

The thatched roof fire
Firefighters said they believed a defective chimney had started the fire

Firefighters have been tackling a fire at a thatched cottage in Essex.

Crews were called to the property in Pit Lane, Tiptree, on Saturday morning and spent about three hours putting it out and damping down the scene.

A spokesman said it appeared the fire was started in a defective chimney which allowed heat to spread into the thatch, setting it alight.

The roof has collapsed, but the cottage is still standing and no-one was injured, he added.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific