Page last updated at 20:37 GMT, Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Flood threat fears are receding

Advertisement

The Essex Fire and Rescue Service has received more than 270 flood-related calls

The threat of more severe flooding in Essex appears to have receded, but flood warnings are still in place.

A number of homes in Essex were evacuated and major roads closed after heavy rain brought flooding to parts of the county.

But Essex Police said: "Water levels no longer appear to be rising."

An Essex County Council spokeswoman said the situation was returning to normal and people living in evacuated homes would soon be able to return.

But nine flood warnings were still in place including for the River Chelmer and Can - which have been downgraded from being described as at risk of severe flooding earlier on in the day.

Earlier 12 bungalows in Gorse Lane, Clacton, were affected, with residents from five properties evacuated to a rest centre at the town hall.

'Common sense'

The occupants of the remaining bungalows either opted to stay or to take refuge with relatives.

Essex Police are continuing to advise motorists to take extra care.

The Essex Fire and Rescue Service has received more than 270 flood-related calls, with people reporting flooding of homes or being stranded in cars.

A spokesman said: "People continue to put themselves at risk by driving through flood water and getting stranded. Our advice is to use common sense."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
More than 20 rescued from floods
10 Feb 09 |  Somerset

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific