Page last updated at 11:36 GMT, Saturday, 21 June 2008 12:36 UK

Family escapes from house blaze

A family was able to escape a house fire that broke out under floorboards after a child raised the alarm.

Fire crews were called to a house in Princess Drive, Highwoods, Colchester in the early hours to find smoke pouring out of first floor windows.

Occupants escaped from the house before the fire service arrived, although one was treated for smoke inhalation.

Station Officer Costas Olymbios, from Essex Fire Service, said the house did not have a working smoke alarm.

"It is vital that your home is fitted with a working smoke alarm - this could be your only warning if a fire breaks out in your home," he said.

The fire is believed to have started in a bedroom when insulation covering wires under floor boards overheated.

Firefighters are returning to the area to advise neighbours on home fire safety advice and the importance of working smoke alarms.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific