The Post Office has announced that 29 out of 31 branches earmarked for closure in Essex will shut.
According to the Post Office, the cutbacks were necessary to make the service sustainable.
Seven branches will close in mid Essex, four in the south of the county, 14 in north Essex and four in the west.
Essex County Council leader Lord Hanningfield said: "This is a disgraceful result. I am truly saddened that this decision has been made."
There has been a reprieve for the post office in Warley Road near Brentwood and Honeycroft, in Lawford, near Manningtree.
Instead, the Post Office is proposing to close Henham Stores branch, in High Street, Bishop's Stortford, and the Little Bentley branch at Bentley Manor Barns, Church Road.
There will now be a six week consultation on the two new additions to the list.
Lord Hanningfield said: "We will continue to fight these closures using every avenue and opportunity we have, and I will be seeking an urgent meeting with the government minister with responsibility for post offices."
The full list of closures:
- The Street, White Notley
- Moreton, Ongar
- Willingale Village Hall, Willingale
- Cherry Tree Rise, Station Way, Buckhurst Hill
- Grange Hill, Chigwell
- Kirby Cross, Thorpe Road, Frinton-On-Sea
- Naze Park, Hall Lane, Walton-On-The-Naze
- Bicknacre Main Road, Chelmsford
- Great Braxted Tiptree Road, Great Braxted
- Eight Ash Green Halstead Road, Colchester
- Wrabness, Station Road, Wrabness
- Little Hallingbury Village Hall, Lower Road, Little Hallingbury
- Mole Hill Green, Takeley,
- Quendon PO Stores, Rickling Green Road, Quendon
- Howe Street, Howe Street village
- Kings Parade, Nevendon Road, Wickford
- Sunnymede, Greens Farm Lane, Billericay
- Bocking Church Street, Braintree
- Panfield Lane, Braintree
- Hanging Hill Lane, Brentwood
- Parsons Heath, Harwich Road, Colchester
- Pownall Crescent, Colchester
- North Station Road, Colchester
- Allnuts Road, Epping
- Lindsey Street, Epping
- Parkeston, Garland Road, Harwich
- Freeland Road, Clacton-On-Sea
- The Chase, Rayleigh
- Rowntree Way, Saffron Walden
RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites