[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 25 September 2007, 08:57 GMT 09:57 UK
Boy saved after getting in a spin
Washing machine
Firefighters warned the children about the dangers
Firefighters were called to rescue a boy in Essex who was stuck inside a washing machine.

Patrick Grieves, eight, from The Tythings, Halstead, got into difficulty on Monday evening after being dared to climb in by his sister Jade.

His worried mother, Susan, called Essex Fire and Rescue Service after she was unable to get his out.

The fire crews managed to manoeuvre Patrick so they could get him out without having to cut up the machine.

Jade told BBC Radio Essex: "He went in feet first because he knew that was the only way he could get in and I dared him to do it, so I am a naughty girl.

Children warned

"I know I shouldn't have, but my mum has told me off so I have my punishment - grounded for a fortnight."

Mrs Grieves said: "I was panicking that I wasn't going to get him out - I tried but couldn't."

She said firefighters arrived on the scene within minutes.

"Patrick kept saying 'Get me out, get me out, chop my legs off'," Mrs Grieves said.

"The firefighters got him to relax and got him out that way."

The fire crews left after warning Patrick and Jade about the dangers of playing with washing machines and tumble dryers.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific